Tuesday, March 23, 2010

abandoned cars


When the Dubai economy hit the skids there were tales of luxury motors abandoned at the airport as many of the people who had made a fast buck in the good times baled out when the squeeze happened, leaving behind anything that couldn't fit in the hold.

Fast forward to this clever bit of 'ambient' for Dubai Metro, the commuter train network:

'...a driverless, fully automated metro network in the United Arab Emirates city of Dubai, launched in September 2009.

Commuters were encouraged to leave their cars at home and take the train with a series of messages written on abandoned cars around Dubai: “I haven’t left Dubai, I just love taking the Metro”, “Metro 1, Car 0″, “Wash me if you want, I’m still taking the Metro”, “Stop writing on me, I’m taking the Metro”.'

The campaign, by Saatchi & Saatchi, Dubai, won the Grand Prix for Outdoor at the Dubai Lynx Awards 2010, though I can't help thinking that there could have been more participative juice squeezed out of this idea, incentivising real punters to join in.

blog comments powered by Disqus